Skip to main content

The musings of defeat

In the recent turn of hockey events, I have pondered and reflected on my life in sports and what has transpired so far in my life. And as I pondered, the fun little statistic flashed across the television and read that only four sports teams EVER have blown a 3-0 series lead in a 7-game series. FOUR.

You’ve got the Maple Leafs in 1942 when they won four against the Red Wings to capture the Stanley Cup. Then the Islanders put it to the Penguins in 1975 in the Quarterfinals after trailing 3-0, and of course in 2004, after the Yankees pulled out a 3-0 lead, the Red Sox miraculously took the next four and eventually won the World Series.

But while some folks have experienced the heartbreak here and there, and the emotions coming off such a high to stumbling to the lowest of low, there are few (remember, only FOUR TIMES IN HISTORY) that have been unfortunate to feel it more than once.

Aren’t I a lucky winner?

That’s right folks, while I might not have been around to see Toronto steal the cup from Detroit or witness Pittsburgh fall on their face,--nor care for that matter--twice in my very short lived 23-year life I have become a war veteran to the Game 7 disasters and have felt every sort of pain and disappointment a sports enthusiast can feel.

Yes, I am a Yankee fan, and yes I live in New England. But really, sports gods, does that mean I need to feel the pain from both ends of the spectrum? I think I was literally feeling some sort of PTSD after the Bruins lost game 4 in this series. Everyone else was still calm and confident after the first loss, but I knew the slippery slope of losing, especially when Krecji went down. I had seen it before, and I never wanted to go back.

But as history would dictate, loss after loss and momentum from the “other team” would lead to grief and eventual defeat.. And that leads me to my point.

I am sick of losing.

Some would say, I can’t complain because the Patriots, Celtics and Yankees have all won championships within the past four years. However, I will complain because I still see the Bruins and even UNH who have not won in so long and instead of a trophy after a promising season, they just give me anxiety attacks and long off-seasons. It’s like a bad relationship that you can’t get out of because there is still that glimmer of hope they give you just when you are about to give up completely.

And man, I’m a sucker for them.

But I guess when that happens, you have to be willing to deal with the game 7 insanities. But as Bruins coach Claude Julien said way back in January when the Bruins couldn’t win a shootout to save their lives, they started to dread having the game get to that point--and that’s how I’m starting to feel about game 7s. Normally in the sporting world, people love game 7. It’s the ultimate exciting game and nothing pumps the adrenaline more. But not me. I’m done. I want it to be a blow out in favor of my team and I want it secured as soon as possible if it has to be played at all. It’s like watching a movie you KNOW won’t end well, but can’t stop watching. In the end you feel awful and wished you had stopped watching 2 hours prior.

By the way, Bruins had a 3-0 lead in the first period. Such teases.

And that is the nature of sports. One team always has to lose, and one team wins. One team advances while the others make tee times for the next morning. Caps have felt it this year, and so has Pittsburg, perhaps just as much as the Bruins this season. But both of those teams have tasted recent victory, while Boston is thirsting for their first Stanley cup since 72.

And let’s not forget about the UNH heartbreakers who have never had the taste of a national victory ever. Yup, that’s gonna be a comeback reference all year folks… get used to it.

However, life does go on, and with Boston’s season coming to an end, New England hockey fans will once again take the lemons they have been given and toss them back with some tequila and salt and boldly proclaim, “Thank you sir, may I have another?”

But let's be responsible Boston, and for the sake of everyone, don't be giving us too many more lemons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I find it funny that my last couple of entries have been all about lamenting or cursing and even a rare complaint (HA!). And while that fuels the passion for my writing, I feel like I should try and lean towards the lighter side of life. But that ain’t happening today. Sike! Instead, today I would like to talk about how to tell the difference between a sports fan and someone who watches sports. It might sound very simple: for example, some might believe a sports fan is one who watches every game, keeps track of stats and may even throw in a chest bump or two following an impossible catch out in center field. On the other hand, someone who watches sports is the person who just watches for the social aspect of sports, doesn’t know a touchdown from a free throw or why people laugh when talking about Plaxico Burress and the gun safety class he facilitates for community service. And while those are all good and valid points, both types of spectators have their weak links, or those people

UMaine--more than just woods and moose.

Another Monday, which means another look back at this weekend's games in Hockey East. There have been a number of returns from last week, and some that might surprise you, but sit back and enjoy this week's edition of "The Good, the Bad, and the NO WAY!" THE GOOD: UNIVERSITY OF MAINE BLACK BEARS --The tweets were remarkable Friday night as the score between Maine and North Dakota climbed and climbed until finally it rested at 7-3. And yes, Maine did win. Now, we knew this team was good, but that good? The Black Bears finished their weekend with a sweep against NoDak, winning again on Saturday 4-2. They now are outscoring their opponents 28-17--that’s averaging almost five goals per game. WHO’S HOT : Well, truth be told, the entire team. There are only THREE members on the entire roster that have a minus rating on the ice. Three. That puts the team at a remarkable +28 overall. To put that in perspective, the undefeated Boston University Terriers only have a team total

Back in the saddle

It's amazing what a trip to the Stanley Cup Final can stir up in you. No, I personally didn't get to any Final games this year (yet...), but damn if it didn't get the sports writer in me fired up - which is why, you could say, I'm writing this today. I find it comical and equally unsettling that it's been almost eight years since I updated this blog. Mostly I forgot about it, but also life happened as it often does. That being said, I've been feeling the need to sit down and write (whether about the Bruins or otherwise), and the biggest buzzkill is updating this blog to reflect everything that has changed in my life since 2011. So, this is what you get. Yes, my name changed to Biz Durling (married to my husband Ryan for 4 years now!), I no longer give a damn about the New York Yankees, and deep down, sports writing will always remain my passion. Good? Now that we've cleared that up, let's move on. STANLEY CUP FINAL First Cup Final since 2013